Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 Summilux at f1.4
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 23:36:48 +0000

on 6/2/00 3:06 pm, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> John - Don't dismiss the ASPH out of hand until you've shot with it. I had
> the pre-ASPH, traded up, and have never looked back. The ASPH is one amazing
> lens.

Yeah, don't get me wrong... if I could have 'em *both*!! My point is just
that the particular image quality of the non-ASPH lens is not available
elsewhere. Just as I would not sell my Canon 28/2.8 even though I'm buying
an Elmarit.

Sometimes the glow-ey quality of the 35/1.4 is a pain in the arse, as it
makes everything kind of romantic. Also, it is a real restriction not being
able to shoot into the light wide open... for example in a restaurant with a
subject backlit against a window where there is *no* frontal light... you
end up shooting at 1/30 @ f/2 but the incoming window light just blasts all
that to hell and there's no way of flagging it off.

But still -- I  don't take it off the camera very often.

- --
John Brownlow

       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk