Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 Summilux at f1.4
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 19:51:29 +0000

on 6/2/00 5:33 pm, Hans Pahlen at hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se wrote:

> Well, all I am really rambling about is: -The non asph Lux is a different
> lens, and glory to those who know how to make use of F/1.4! It is not easy...

All of the images in the 'Human Traffic' section of my website were shot
with the non-asph 35/1.4, mostly wide open. Certainly all the night shots
were shot 1/30 @ f/1.4. I praise the Leica gods for this miraculous lens,
and wouldn't upgrade to the ASPH if you paid me. It is rarely off my M4-P.

Personally I shoot this lens wide open for preference... given a choice
between 1/30 @ 2.8 and 1/125 @ 1.4 I choose the latter. Partly it something
no-one has yet mentioned: the shallow depth of field allows you to use it
almost as you would a telephoto lens, isolating subjects by differential
focus. A lot of the images in the Human Traffic series rely on exactly this.

- --
John Brownlow

       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk