Subject: Re: [Leica] Summitar Filters and Cap
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:51:36 -0500

To add a bit to Horst's posting, the actual filter thread is generally
given as 36.4mm, but it is a taper thread.  Leitz made a full range of
filters, hoods, and caps for this fitment, and these are frequently
available at camera shows and the like.  And Leitz made an adapter to allow
the use of E39 filters on the Summitar, as well as one allowing the use of
Summitar filters on E39.  The adaptor to fit Summicron filters to the
Summitar is SNHOO/13078, but seems to be for A42 (slip-on Summicron
filters), much rarer than the E39 screw-in filters.  I believe there was
another one allowing E39 on E36.4, but I haven't a reference at present.

A much easier solution is to find an old Ednalite 606 adapter or the Tiffen
equivalent.  These allow the use of a Series VI filter and lens hood.  They
are commonly available and surface frequently at camera shows.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!