Subject: Re: [Leica] Summitar Filters and Cap
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:56:29 +1100

Mike Durling wrote:

> Hey Luggers:
>
> I recently picked up a user Summitar for my IIIf.  So far after two rolls I
> like it very much, a little soft wide open but very nice stopped down a
> little.
>
> When I got it I tried the clip-on shade from my Summicron and it fit so I
> figured ok, it takes 39mm screw-in filters.  I don't actually own one of
> these but I needed a cap for the Summitar so I ordered a 39mm screw-in cap
> from B&H.  Well, I got it and tried to screw it in and it didn't work!  I
> looked at the lens and there are no threads on the inner edge of the lens
> barrel. Silly me for not looking!  At least I can use the cap on the
> Summicron if I lose the one that goes on the shade.
>
> My question is what kind of filters go on this beast?  There are threads
> down inside next to the front element but they don't look very useful.  Is
> there a modern equivalent filter or cap size?  I hate to pay collector
> prices for these things, and I usually lose the slip-on caps.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike D

  Mike, The filters for the Summitars are not standard filters, They fit only
the Summitar.
They have a 36.5mm screw thread which is on the end of a conical ring.
You can still get them from most second hand places( Tamarkin etc. Check it on
the internet) . They are normally quite inexpensive. The problem is, you can't
get any new multicoated filters for this lens, unless you buy an adapter from
Summitar to 39 mm
(Summicron 50mm) I don't just now have the part number for this item, but it is
still available second hand. The cost is normally about 20 Dollars. If you are
interested, then I look for the part number of this item and mail it to you.
Let me know.
The Summitar is a good lens. It  is worth while, to look after it.

There is no screw in lens cap available. You have to make do with a slip on
job.
It will fit the normal lens hoods for the Summicron 50 mm lenses.

I hope this helps a bit

Regards, Horst Schmidt