Subject: Re: [Leica] luna pro S,F,SBC + M3
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:33:41 -0600

I had an M3 with MR-something meter, and found it very convenient to
use.  The meter is always there, aims easily using the 90mm frame in the
viewfinder, and couples to the shutter speed to read out the appropriate
aperture.  A typical Leitz solution using the technology of the time.
OTOH, the meter does add to the bulk and weight of the camera, and I
always found it satisfying to use an unadorned M3.  In addition, given
my druthers, I use incident metering whenever possible.

I'll second the remarks of others about the size of the Luna Pro SBC
being out of scale with the M3 (although I love my SBC), and I don't
think the older Luna Pro/LunaSix was a whole lot smaller.  They are very
capable meters, though, and accept a relatively inexpensive attachment
that gives 7.5 and 15 degree angles for reflected readings.  Not exactly
a spot meter, but a good bit cheaper, and with incident capability too.

I've handled in a store, and am awaiting delivery from a successful Ebay
auction, the LunaPro Digital F.  While fairly wide (which makes for an
easily read display) it's very thin and light, and drops easily into a
shirt pocket.  The non-F models, without flash capability, go for quite
a bit less on Ebay.  A used Luna Pro Digital might be easier to find
than a vintage Leica meter, and of course they're available new.

Best of luck.  You'll probably like any of them, and won't go wrong if
you end up with both a Leicameter and a hand held.

Cheers,
Kip