Subject: Re: [Leica] Cosina lenses
From: Luc Janssens/Micro-Connection<luc@psion-be.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:12:40 +0100

Hi,

After buying two Pentax lenses which I didn't like I started collecting the
lens tests of Chasseur d'Image.
And since then I have never bought a lens without consulting their tests
first.
Unlike other magazines not all the lenses are good.
The lenses are tested with 4 diafragmas and in the middle and the border of
the image.

The Cosina 15mm f4.5 has only 2 stars out of 5 for performance.
4 of 5 stars for price,quality
4 of 5 stars overall
The optical results are
f4.5 middle average +   border average -
f5.6 middle good -              border average
f8       middle good            border good
f11      middle good            border good
At f4.5 there is a vignetage of 1 diafragma
at f5.6 0.6 diafragma
at f8 0.4 diafragma
Under the 2 meters the finder is inaccurate.
This is a completely other story then the German magazine.

The Cosina 25mm f4
Performance 3 star out of 5
Price/quality 2 out of 5
Overall 1 out of 5 Here they give the (stupid) reason that you have a 24mm
f2.8 for SLR for less money.
The optical results are
f4      middle good     border good -
f5.6    middle good     border good
f8      middle very good -      border good
f11 middle good +               border good
Vignetage
f4 0.6 diafragma
f5.6     0.4 diafragma

The Elmarit M ASPH
Performance 4 stars out of 5
price quality 1 star out of 5
Overall 3 stars out of 5
optical performance
f2.8            middle very good                border good
f4              middle very good                border very good
f5.6            middle very good                border excellent -
f8              middle very good                border excellent
Vignetage
f2.8            0.6 diafragma
f4              0.3 diafragma
The Leica lens gives better results at f2.8 then the Cosina at f8.
I think I prefer the Elmarit for his quality the Cosina for his price.

Regards

Luc

Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net> on 22/01/2000 11:58:19
Please respond to leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us