Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux result???? -filters
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:22:11 -0800

Dan Khong wrote:

>People are divided here. Some like to put a filter and others do not. I do
>purely for pragmatic reasons. The Noct has such a big piece of glass in
>front that I'd feel terrible if something happened to the front element;
>when that happens, it's too late to regret, kick myself or think about
>whether image degradation occurs with filters. By this time all the real
>and hypothetical advantages of not using a filter is no longer an issue.>>>>

Hi Dan,

In 33 years of carrying a Noctilux (sans filter) indoors, outdoors, in
planes & trains and under the sea, I've never had anything happen that was
damaging. Now I've confessed, I'll have to keep fingers crossed for another
33 years!:)

Other than one event! A couple years ago, some of you know what's coming.
:) While shooting an assignment on a large animal veterinarian, a big old
cow let fly with a pile of  S........t and covered me, Noctilux and M6!

Hell of an experience! And not a filter in sight! :)  Wiped it off best we
could and carried on!  Certainly in a somewhat "aroma challenged
environment! :):)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant