Subject: Re: [Leica] rangefinder image
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:19:41 -0700

on 22/1/00 12:41 am, Mark Rabiner at mrabiner@concentric.net wrote:

> "Andrew M. Moore" wrote:
>>
>>> I use a regular small screwdriver but one with a right angle bend on
>>> the end of the shaft or a 30 degree cut off on the tip might be a
>>
>> I looked closely at the adjustment screw, and I'm not sure that we're
>> all talking about the same type of rangefinder adjustment.  It sounds
>> like the screw you're referring to is the slotted screw closest to the
>> focusing cam, which looks like it might adjust the focus point (by
>> rotating the "off-axis" circular cam that encompasses the screw?)
>>
>> I've been talking about an adjustment that cure the rangefinder
>> patch images from being misaligned vertically -- one of them appears
>> above the other -- that is, on a different horizontal plane -- so
>> even though my focus may be dead on, I can never see the two images
>> line up perfectly no matter where I focus.
>>
>> Are we referring to the same adjustment?
>>
>> --Andrew
>
> No in my previous post I was talking horizontal. I believe with the m6 the
> vertical is trickier perhaps needing to go in through the red dot. Too rich
> for
> my blood.
> I hope I have not confused anyone or been off the point.
> This was all described by someone better than I have in the archives. Might
> have
> been Tom A.

Well I took the access screw out of my M2 and my M4-2 (black chrome screws
scratch very easily) and the vertical adjustment screw is there on the M2
but missing from the M4-2. The hole for the screw is still in the arm but it
is not threaded anymore. I do have a M2 repair manual which goes into some
detail on how exactly to set up the rangefinder. There are three adjustment
points: one being the an eccentric cam securing the roller (this the one I
tweak), two an eccentric cam on the pivot (this is the one where you use the
screwdiver/locknut tool though the bottom hole)and finally the eccentric cam
and stop arm to limit travel. You use the two main adjustments to "balance"
the focus mech at 0.7m, 1m, 10m and infinity. So maybe just tweaking only
one is not such a great idea. If anyone can provide us with a technique for
screwing up (adjusting) the vertical adjustment on the M4-2 and up cameras
that would be great. Maybe the fact we are discussing this triggered an
expectation of more M repairs and that is why the shares shot up.

John (anything to help Leica) Collier