Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji building an M
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:30:01 -0700

on 22/1/00 10:31 am, Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) at peterk@lucent.com wrote:

> Having read loading problems cause by the M bottom loading system, I too had
> a similar problem.  I hope that if Fuji buys Leica they will force them into
> designing an easier and smarter loading system. The botom loading was good
> in the 30's but come on, what a pain in the ass.

After complaining to the Canadian Leica rep about misloads he quickly
demonstrated how to load properly and I have had none since than. I greatly
prefer the M4-6 loading to any other camera with manual wind that I have
used. Yes the automatic motorized cameras load very easily but I prefer to
have the option of very quiet non-motorized advance.

- -baseplate off

- -camera upside down lens toward you

- -insert film so that leader tip lightly touches casing

- -flip back open to make sure film not hung up

- -shut back and hold it shut with thumb

- -reattach baseplate and SLOWLY advance through the first two frames

This can be done on a table, in one hand, in the dark, whatever, but do the
last three steps methodically. Speed comes with practice not impatience.

John Collier