Subject: [Leica] Cosina lenses
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:17:05 EST

 I have been using the Cosina/Voigtlander lenses for quite a while now and I
will put down my highly subjective opinions of these.

Heliar 15/4,5: Best deal there is! A 15mm rectilinear lens with a great
finder for less than $400! It is cheaper than the finder for the 16/8 Hologon
for Contax G1/G2 and far more useful. Wide-open there is some softness at the
edges, but ones you are stopped down to f5.6/8 it's performance is exemplary.
There is some vignetting, but this is a function of the extreme wide-angle
rather than the lens itself. In any case, the fall off is less than a Hologon
without its center-filter. Highly useful lens, incredible depth of field and
once you have learned to keep knuckles and shoes out of the frame, great fun
to use! Works well with the M6 meter, but some care has to be taken not to
meter too much sky, due to the extreme angle of view.

25/4 Snap-Shot Skopar: It might look like a toy but it is a very sharp,
moderate wide-angle. It has certain endearing characteristics, the click
stops at 1m, 1,5m and 3m makes it a great street shooting lens. I would have
liked it too have rangefinder coupling, but it is still easy enough to use.
Handles very well and is sharp, contrasty and kind of cute! It is a bit too
small for using on a M-body, but suits the screwmount camera perfectly (or
the Bessa-L). At $300 with the finder, it is a bargain. It is better than a
25 Canon and an improvement over the 28/5,6 Summaron. The finder is the same
type as the 15, very bright and clear, some curvature in the finder and no
brightlines. What you see is approximately 93% of what you get.

35/1,7 Ultron: Competent 35mm lens and usable wide-open. I find it a bit too
big for a 35 and I have not got used to its barrel-size. On the other hand,
it is a very good optic, performance is similar to the pre-ASPH 35/2 and it
allows the user of the Barnack-Leica's (Japanese designation for screwmount
Leica's) access to a high quality, fast and reasonably priced 35. The
Aspheric glass makes a difference in wide-open performance, sharp and
contrasty. The 35 finder that Cosina released before Christmas is a joy to
use. Same housing as the 15/25 finders, extremely bright view. Proper
framelines and even a parallax compensating line at the top. Better than the
$400 SBOII finders that Leica made 40 years ago and at $140 a bargain to
boot.

50/1,5 Nokton: I did a subjective test a week ago. I shoot with the 50/1,5
Nokton, 50/1,4 Summilux, 50/1,4 Nikkor (in screwmount), 50/1,4 Canon (also in
screwmount). The weather co-operated by being truly miserable, rain, grey
overcast, some snow/slush and a couple of days with sunshine. Using Tmax 400
and processing in FX-37 (a bit edgy grain, but sharp) the clear winner was
the Nokton with the Summilux and the Canon as second and the Nikkor trailing
(Now the Nikkor has had a hard life and the glass is slightly less than
mint!). The Nokton has become my standard lens for winter-weather shooting.
Wide-open it is remarkably sharp and snappy. It is a very comfortable lens to
use, barrel size and "heft" is very well balanced. As it has a 52mm filter
size I have found use for those old Nikon filters that has been cluttering up
the filterdrawer too. Supposedly the later lenses have a slightly deeper
hood, but I have not had any problem with flare on mine. At around $600 it is
a better deal than a used Summilux 50. It is not a substitute for either the
Summicron 50 or the Noctilux, but for the times when you need a stop more but
you don't want to haul the Noctilux around, it is perfect! There is also a
nice 50-brightline finder available for this lens. Superbly built and it
comes in black paint too!

75/2,5 Color-Heliar: This is a small, compact and very reasonably priced
"long" normal. Its performance is on par with the Tele-Elmarit 90/2,8. It has
a slightly soft rendering at 2.5/2.8 but gets quite snappy at 4 and above. It
is a tiny lens, slightly longer than a 50/2 and lightweight. It is not as
sharp or as contrasty as the 90/2,8 Elmarit-M, but it is lighter and smaller
(and you can put it on your Barnack-Leica). Sometimes there are pieces of
equipment you like for no particular reason, the 75/1,4 is sharper, the
90/2.8 Elmarit-M is probably better and the 90/2 APO-Asph is considerably
better, but the 75/2,5 feels "right". It is small enough that you can stick
in a pocket and leave it there until you need it, without feeling that you
are dragging a heavy 'lump' with you. It is now my preferred "long" normal
for a walk in the downtown. Combining it with an M body with the 35/2 on it,
you can have a nice portable shooting kit. Cosina also makes a 75 finder,
same barrel as the 50 finder and the same bright view with framelines clearly
visible.
It is also one of the lowest priced Cosina/Voigtlander lenses at around
$375/400.

 My feeling is that the Cosina products are well designed well made and
represent a tremendous value for the price. They are not substitutes for the
Leica optics, but rather complements the lens line. It also allows us to use
the older Barnack-cameras with modern, high quality lenses as well as
allowing us to put the same lenses on our M-cameras.
 All the lenses that I have are the black versions and on some of them I have
noticed a tendency to chipping in the paint, particularly around the hood
edges. Coatings are holding up well to my somewhat haphazard way of cleaning
them (wipe them off with a lens-cloth, using R.O.R if I am at home, otherwise
I breathe on them for light cleaning, spit on them for more hard-to-clean
spots!). So far no marks, permanent spots or scratches. The "feel" of the
focussing on all of them is remarkably smooth and the 35/1,7 has a wonderful
short throw, you go from infinity to 0,8 m in a quarter turn. Very fast and
easy to catch moving subjects. All my tests have been with black/white film
(apart from a couple of rolls of Astia and Provia in Tokyo last September) so
I will not judge color rendition or the variations thereof.
 I haven't got the 35/2,5 or the Bessa-RF yet but it should be here shortly
and I will let the LUG know as soon as it has arrived what my initial
impression is.
 Would I shoot a commercial job with the Cosina lenses? Yes, particularly
with lenses like the 15/4,5 or the 50/1,5, the 25/4 is no match for my 24/2,8
Asph, nor is the 75/2,5 a match for the 75/1,4 and in my mind, nothing
matches the 35/1,4 Asph. If it was a job that required critical color-work I
might do a check on the corrections required to match the lenses, but for a
black/white or color-neg. job, the Cosina are more than up to the task.
 Keep in mind that this is a subjective opinion of one person and it is from
a user point of view. For the detailed nuts and bolts analysis do what I do,
read Erwin's stuff!
Tom A