Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji building an M
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:17:56 EST

We might have been closer than we know to a Fuji built Leica. When Fuji
started developing the TX-1 or what later became the Hasselblad X-Pan, the
first company they asked as a partner was Leica Germany. Unfortunately Leica
said." We are not interested!". In my estimation, it could have been a great
match. Fuji's advanced technology for exposure metering, filmadvance etc and
matched to Leica's lens making capability!  A Leica Panorama or LeicaWide
with a designated M-mount and the ability to use M-lenses for 24x36 and using
the Fuji lenses for the 24x65 coverage (and, in a pinch, be able to use the
90/4 Fuji as a telephoto lens on the 24x36 setting)! The focussing cam and
roller system in the TX-1 looks and behaves very much as the M-system, the
finder is similar, except for the 90 frame which is a magnified frame
(constant size but 'tele" view).
Tom A