Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 280mm f/2.8 APO lenses
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:00:32 -0800

Simon Coates wrote:
>,,,,,,,but there is also the option of the older 280mm f/2.8 APO lens.
>This weighs nearly 1kg less than the Modul lens! I could attach a 2x
>converter to make a 560mm f/5.6 APO lens, and also use the 2x converter
>onto the 180mm lens. This setup would save rather a lot of money too – I
>have seen the 280/2.8 for sale for just under £2,000, rather than the
>£5,000+ for a new Modul lens.
>
>So, a few questions:
>
>1. Is there any difference in optical quality between the new and older
>280mm f/2.8 lenses?

Not as far as I've heard or seen.

>2. Is there any difference between the 2x and 1.4x teleconverters? I have
>read about these items, but is the optical degradation noticeable?

Simon, they are wonderful optics, get the apo version, not that there is
anything wrong with the non apo 2X, but any lens apo is better than none at
all.

You'll not see any deterioration when using either. I've stacked both
together on the 280 2.8 making an acceptable ...hand held :)  800mm f.8.
Wide open a little soft at the edges, but stopped down one and it cleans
out pretty well.

If you can get them used and at a good price you'll not go wrong, as the
280 2.8 is a champion of a lens, I've used one since 1984 when they came
out.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant