Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 280mm f/2.8 APO lenses
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:35:38 -0500

I can't speak to a comparison of the optical quality of old 280 vs
modular.  But, I did have the opportunity to use the modular
system in its 400/4 flavor for half a day a few months ago.  You
noted the weight which is indeed a factor to keep in mind.  While
the 400 produced a very nice image (at least to my eye) it was a
beast to move around.  Plan on using a tripod or monopod despite
the impact on your mobility.

Roy

On 19 Jan 00, at 21:56, Simon Coates wrote:

> This is all well and good, but there is also the option of the older 280mm
> f/2.8 APO lens. This weighs nearly 1kg less than the Modul lens! I could
> attach a 2x converter to make a 560mm f/5.6 APO lens, and also use the 2x
> converter onto the 180mm lens. This setup would save rather a lot of money
> too – I have seen the 280/2.8 for sale for just under £2,000, rather than
> the £5,000+ for a new Modul lens.
[snip]