Subject: Re: [Leica] Which fast 50mm?
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:00:47 +0100

Chris,
For what it is worth, this is what a test in 1992 said: (I think you will see the MTF-curves as www.photodo.com)
Compared at F/1.0 and F/1.4 the Noctilux is definitely sharper, comparing the image center, that is. At all other openings they are almost equal in sharpness, but with an edge to the Noctilux.
Many LUGers have published great Noctilux photos, among others Chandos Michael Brown, who's site I visited yesterday. The Noctilux pictures have a special quality, no doubt about that!

Personally, I am a little concerned about focusing such a fast lens, that is why I prefer the Summicron 50, my favorite 50 mm lens since 25 years. You will not find a better lens than the current Summicron 50 in terms of sharpness at F/2.0. Some people will prefer the Summilux 50/1.4 as a compromise in speed and size, though.

If you are looking for a fast lens for Canon, I think a much stronger alternative is the 85/1.2L, a really outstanding lens and very nice to use on a SLR type of camera with AF. I have a friend who is using it since some years, and he has never looked back.

Good luck,
Hans