Subject: [Leica] Which fast 50mm?
From: LawsonCL@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:33:57 EST

Here are the two choices: Noctilux or Canon f/1.0 50mmL.

That the Noctilux has its own special brand of Leica magic is a given.
That the Canon costs almost as much is also a given.

I have no idea how do they compare in terms of resolution at 1.0 and other
aperatures. I haven't seen a test report on the Canon. Can you help me out on
this?

Onward:

The Noctilux mounts to a rangefinder camera for more silent and stealthly
shooting.
The Canon would mount on an EOS-3 and offer autofocus, which could be very
handy for grab shots in its intended low-light (and perhaps lowlife)
environment.

The Noctilux is pretty sizeable for a Leica M lens.
The Canon is gi-freakin'-gantic (takes 72mm filters and a weighs a portly 2.2
lbs.).

The Noctilux on my M6 TTL would make me just another Leicaphile who, up until
the purchase anyway, had more money than skill (I'm speaking only for myself,
here, and in no way denigrating those use Noctiluxes with skill and daring).
Thus, I'd be subject to sneers and derision from LUGites after the initial
wave of awe had passed.

The Canon 50mm f/1.0 is, well, anonymous. I'd have to tell people what a
special lens it is before they could be awed. And they probably still
wouldn't care.

Other considerations are welcomed.

Finally, which lens would you choose?

Thanks for your advice,