Subject: [Leica] Trouble with Vario-Elmar f3.5 35-70mm
From: David G Prakel <David_Prakel@benchmark.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:16:57 +0000

I have just bought a supposed mint and boxed version of the Leica
Vario-Elmar f3.5 35-70mm (German-built, E67 filter version post 1988). I
have only been able to briefly test the lens on my R4 but have found a
problem some of you may be able to comment on.

Zoom on R4 on tripod - subject local church. Royal Gold 200 (I normally use
slide film). Four exposures each at 70mm/50mm/35mm at f3.5, f5.6, f11 and
f22. The resolution is every bit as described and shows the lens is good
once stopped down. However in two sets of images from two locations there is
a large white flared arc in the bottom right corner of the print - both
times at 50mm and f11 or f22 (when the flare is worse). This is not halation
or lens flare as the sun was behind me (though glinting off the church clock
face). The same effect was noticeable on an exposure made at 50mm/f11 half
an hour later at another location altogether.

The lens does not seem to have been serviced - I feel the effect is an
internal reflection perhaps on a scratch or element edge but I'm only
guessing.

The real question - I bought this version of the zoom lens because I was
told it offered the best optical and handling performance of the various
versions of the short Leica zooms. The dealer is happy to take the lens back
- - the price was the same as a new 28-70mm or a new 35-70mm f4. I tried these
lenses in the past year but found both rather dark on my R4. The f3.5 is
just about acceptable and no worse than the 180mm/f4 I've lived with for 15
years. Where do I go from here in the choice of a short zoom?

- --
David G Prakel
The Benchmark Press
http://www.cix.co.uk/~benchmark/