Subject: Re: [Leica] Gandy vs. Puts
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 16:08:19 EST

In a message dated 01/16/2000 3:32:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
icommag@toad.net writes:

<< So, while Erwin is probably right about
 scientific testing I doubt that it really means much to the vast majority of
 photographers.

Huh?? It is absolutely essential for me, both intellectually and in practice.
 My God, man just compare the images of the old 35mm Summilux to the new
(ASPH) version. If you do not see the difference we must be on different
planets. But for me the numbers have to be right and Erwin's measurements set
the baseline. There is a srrong correlation between what the measurements say
and the quality of the image in technical terms.

 Yes, I like to have lenses that give me excellent results,
 but, I still belief that content is more important. >>

For me the craft is part of the content and a poor lens can only diminish the
impact of the content. Otherwise, why strive for quality. Who needs a Strad?
Why pay more for a Steinway? What difference does a Leica lens make?

Bob Figlio