Subject: [Leica] Gandy vs. Puts
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 15:24:13 -0400

- --MS_Mac_OE_3030881056_1222599_MIME_Part

LUGers,
I see from the posts today from Steven Gandy and Erwin Puts that we may have
the first really exciting thread of the new millenium, and, possibly with
some severe flame throwing. So let me weigh-in with my brief opinion on the
two best Leica web sites on the web. First Gandy's site is a real jewel with
lots & lots of useful Leica information, plus, tons of information on Nikon,
Cannon, etc., etc. I visit it regularly. I have also visited Erwin's sites
dozens of times in the last year mostly trying to learn about Leica lenses
and with all due respect to Erwin what I have learned, from one of his
conclusions, about Leica lenses whether new or old is that "......between
old and new at f5.6 the difference is small to very small." Once again with
due respect, my eyes glaze over reading Erwin's site. So before I buy his
book I will take a very good look at it to make sure it actually has some
useful information that I can use. So, while Erwin is probably right about
scientific testing I doubt that it really means much to the vast majority of
photographers. Yes, I like to have lenses that give me excellent results,
but, I still belief that content is more important.
Steve
Annapolis

- --MS_Mac_OE_3030881056_1222599_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Gandy vs. Puts</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
LUGers,<BR>
I see from the posts today from Steven Gandy and Erwin Puts that we may hav=
e the first really exciting thread of the new millenium, and, possibly with =
some severe flame throwing. So let me weigh-in with my brief opinion on the =
two best Leica web sites on the web. First Gandy's site is a real jewel with=
 lots &amp; lots of useful Leica information, plus, tons of information on N=
ikon, Cannon, etc., etc. I visit it regularly. I have also visited Erwin's s=
ites dozens of times in the last year mostly trying to learn about Leica len=
ses and with all due respect to Erwin what I have learned, from one of his c=
onclusions, about Leica lenses whether new or old is that &quot;......betwee=
n old and new at f5.6 the difference is small to very small.&quot; Once agai=
n with due respect, my eyes glaze over reading Erwin's site. So before I buy=
 his book I will take a very good look at it to make sure it actually has so=
me <U>useful</U> information that I can use. So, while Erwin is probably rig=
ht about scientific testing I doubt that it really means much to the vast ma=
jority of photographers. Yes, I like to have lenses that give me excellent r=
esults, but, I still belief that content is more important.<BR>
Steve<BR>
Annapolis
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_3030881056_1222599_MIME_Part--