Subject: Re: [Leica] sailing & photography
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:12:36 +0100

From thomas boehm
> in comming september, i have the great possibility to join with some
> friends a sailboat-trip in the mediteranean sea from athens to rhodos
for
- -----------------------------------------

Sailing is my passion.  It is my life.  Welcome to an activity that
will change your outlook on life for all time to come.  Enjoy the
experience of sailing for sailings sake, and leave your Leica in the
mountains.  Do not dilute the pleasure of wind and sea by trying to
capture it in a viewfinder. It's impossible.

If you really must take a camera, take a point and shoot and relax.

Why? ... This is why.   You will not be a passenger, you will be part
of the crew, and taking a yacht from Athens to Rhodos while the Meltemi
is blowing (and it will be in September) will be a full time adventure.
 Just enjoy it.  Marine photography done right requires a lot of
equipment (well insured) and a dedicated photographer who understands
boats and the sea.  It can be dangerous if you are inexperienced and a
situation develops while you are fiddling with lenses and exposure.

Take what you like for harbour and sightseeing but ensure it is packed
and stored well and dry while on the boat.  A lot of marine
professionals I know use an insulated beer cooler because (among other
things) they float.

Alan