Subject: RE: [Leica] sailing & photography
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:21:39 -0800

Hi Thomas,
I spent a good bit of time shooting sailing regattas in the Chesapeake Bay
some years back.  I would suggest that you take a good, weatherproofed SLR
like a Canon EOS1n.  That camera can take being splashed with salt water
without malfunctioning or getting too gunked up.  Just be sure to wipe it
down with a damp (with fresh water) towel as soon as you can.  I don't think
the M6 is very well sealed, and there are lots of places for water to get
in.  Imagine getting some salt crystals in your viewfinder or rangefinder
mechanism.

If you'll be shooting landscapes from the boat, the stabilized telephoto
lenses would come in very handy.  I'd reserve the M6 for shooting on land
when you are in port for a while, and on board, keep it in a Pelican case
with some silica gel packs.  Actually, you might want to do this with
whatever cameras you take.  A good idea we used to use on long trips is to
keep a large Pelican case reserved as a "dry box".  When you're not using
your cameras, you put them in the dry box, which contains a bunch of silica
gel.  Keep this box closed as much as possible to keep the silica gel from
getting saturated with moisture.  Periodically, you can "renew" it by
placing it in a low temp oven or any other warm dry environment.

- --Jim Laurel