Subject: Re: [Leica] sailing & photography
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:11:36 EST

In a message dated 1/12/00 6:29:33 AM, toboehm@yahoo.com writes:

>thanks bob! but: what is a "rootwad"???

Ah, I can see you have not experienced the pleasures of an Ozark float trip
(and they are considerable, I might add). A rootwad is just that, a wad of
roots or the base of a fallen tree submerged in the stream. With just a
little experience you learn to read the water so you can avoid these and
other obstacles (large rocks, shallow shoals, etc.). Still, they do sneak up
on you sometimes. Hitting a rootwad can topple a canoe faster than you can
say, "Oh sheeeeeee. . . . "

BTW, if y'all want a truly pleasurable experience for you and your family,
stop into the Ozarks sometime (southern Missouri/northern Arkansas) and float
one of our fabulous streams. It's a gentle, meandering experience, not like
the rush of a western raft trip or the arduous journey on a northern lake.
Paddle or drift lazily. Feel your heart race as you negotiate a chute. Swim.
Explore caves. Jump into a spring -- and jump out even faster. Camp on a
gravel bar. Truely a delightful experience . . . (sort of like using a Leica
- -- sorry, best I could do for OLC)

Bob (float your boat) McEowen