Subject: Re: [Leica] 'Cron ASPH Comments?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 06:23:23 +0000

Mike Johnston wrote:
>To any and all:
>
>I've now heard of two photographers who, after buying one of the new
>35mm f/2 Summicron-M ASPH lenses, subsequently sold them to return to
>the older pre-ASPH 'cron.
>
>I'd really be interested in hearing detailed comments or impressions
>from people who own and use the new 35/2 ASPH M lens--any comments you
>care to make, objective, but subjective too--I'd be interested in how
>you feel about the lens, how you like it, and how you think it compares
>to other lenses in your experience.
>
>This is not on the record--it's not for any article, and I won't quote
>you. I'm just personally interested. You can reply on or off list.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>Mike

Mike

As an owner/USER of the 6 element 35/2, 35/2 ASPH, 35/1.4 latter version
summilux and ultimately the 35/1.4 ASPH, I have found that all of them have
different personalities.

The demanding photog who craves for the best in optical performance will
find that the ASPH optics has no pareil. That is true in terms of sharpness
and contrast. The artists will probably find the two ASPH glasses too
bitingly sharp for comfort and will prefer the roundness and the background
blur which I have found is more pleasing to look at in the non-ASPH optics.
Surprisingly, my gaspingly expensive 35 summilux ASPH has the harshest
out-of-focus bokeh of the lot.

Between the two 35 crons, I am often torn between using the asph and the
non-asph glasses. Both give me the pictures that I want and I think the
non-asph is currently good value (being somewhat underrated) for money. I
use them on different bodies placed in separate locations.

Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference.

Dan K.
                All economic principles are thwarted by greed.