Subject: RE: [Leica] 'Cron ASPH Comments?
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 07:29:34 -0800

I've used the 6-element, the pre-ASPH and now have the ASPH.  Of all fo
them, the ASPH is by far my favorite.  It has the look I like at all
apertures - contrasty (both macro- and micro-), flare-free, sharp as a tack
even at 2.0, wonderful tonal subtlety, bla bla bla.  I am perfectly sanguine
about its bokeh, too.

Unlike others on this list, I didn't much like my pre-ASPH 7-element.  It
just wasn't sharp at f/4.0 or wider, and I don't think its bokeh is all that
different from the ASPH in practise.  Even if it were, all the bokeh in the
world doesn't compensate for a fuzzy subject (at least for me).  Now, I may
have had a duff sample, but I suspect - given Leica's quality control - that
it was a case of my tastes being out of sync with the lens.

The 6-element I had only briefly, but its character left me strangely
unmoved, so I moved on.

The ASPH 'cron is the first lens I've owned since the old 120/2.8 SMC
Takumar that has made me sit up and say "Wow!".  All the rest of them were
just lenses - acceptable, with disappointing aspects.  These two lenses give
(gave) me shivers of delight.

I've never done objective measurements or tests on any these lenses - I
leave stuff like that to people who know hat they're doing and actually care
to do it.  My judgements are purely subjective based on the results I get,
so YMWV.

Paul Chefurka