Subject: Re: [Leica] Cosina/Voigtlander Bessa-R
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:52:41 EST

 The body of the Bessa-R is the same as that of the non-rangefinder Bessa
(for the 15 and 25mm lenses). The interesting piece is the lens, a 35/2,5
pancake that sticks out only 10-12 mm from the body. This would make the
camera a truly pocketable screwmount camera. The frame selector was chosen as
it was very difficult to make a screwmount lenssystem that would key in a
certain frame. The short rangefinder will hamper the use of longer/faster
90's would is well within the range up to 75mm focal length. I cant wait to
get mine and try it out with my Cosina/Voigtlander lenses and also with my
rather eclectic collection of other screwmount lenses (various Russian
lenses, 50/1,4 Canon, 50/2 Nikkor). The Cosinas are easier to load than the
IIIf's that's for sure. The over-the-counter price for the body and the
35/2,5 in Tokyo is supposed to be Yen 98000 (approx.: US$950), not dirt
cheap, but after having used the other Cosina/Voigtlander lenses for more
than a year, I have great faith in Cosina's optical quality.
Tom A