Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on M6 Finish
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 00:36:04 EST

I have both Titanium and Black M6's (and I have had several chrome M6 and
M4-P's) and they seem to wear almost the same. The black ones pick up
'zincing" around the edges and around the straps, the Titanium very quickly
gets 'buff" marks were it is rubbed and as for its durability against
scratches — no better than the black or chrome ones. My Titanium M6 have
actually got brassy around the edges and also in the corners where it has had
a couple of small mishaps (car-doors, other cameras and the odd gravel
patch).It also has the dumbest shutterspeed dial this side of the TTL. White
lettering on a Titanium background, try to read that in dim light! The most
durable finish is probably the chrome finish, scratches and scrapes show up
less, unfortunately I prefer black cameras. I usually tape over top and
front/back of the black bodies with MacTac Black Moroccan tape, it has a
slight pebbly finish that makes it less slippery. The interesting thing is
when you take the tape off after a couple of years, you have these perfect
black surfaces, surrounded by faded black or "zincy" colored edges. The back
door of the camera seems to fare the worst, the paint chips and the edges get
quickly worn, rubbing against zippers in jackets and vests and also against
shirt buttons. There is really no problem with the wear on the black chrome
cameras, only time to be careful is if you get a substantial gash that goes
through the black chrome and the underlying nickel plating. The zinc can
react with air, particularly salty sea-air and it can start the plating to
flake. I like black paint cameras, they go scruffy fast and then you dont
have to baby them anymore and can shoot to your hearts content.
Tom A