Subject: Re: [Leica] Print Drydown
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 11:43:02 -0800

Mike Durling wrote:

> Hey Mark:
>
> I've checked for "after glow", allowing for pupil dialation, and I don't see
> any with this fixture.
>
> The effect of flourescent light on the optical brightners in the paper may
> be quite real and contribute to the effect.  I will rig up an incandescent
> fixture of the same intensity and compare results.  Thanks for the tip.
>
> Mike D
>

> >A fluorescent fixture in the darkroom is problematical.
> >I think AA tells us not to use them...
> >because when you turn them off they keep glowing.
> >bummer!!!!
><Snip>

I make a point not to use my light table before rolling some film because the
whole thing glows like crazy for 20 minutes. It has 4 ft. bulbs in it.
Maybe it depends on the bulb. In there now are Ultralumes 5000K.

I was not happy to first hear the advise. I found it to be a kind of a hex.
I'm always wondering what could be the culprit other than my own folly when I
look through last nights take in the darkroom.
Every time i then see some prints which are inexplicably too dark with I believe
is a fact of darkroom experience in my 35 years in the darkroom I try to figure
out what could have possessed be to be so dumb: variable drydown, compressed
curves, glowing flourescent bulbs. I'll take anything.
Staring at the bulbs on the ceiling of my darkroom as i flicked them off and on
sure got the attention of the people hanging around my studio.
You can drive yourself crazy with that stuff wondering if it is your eyes or the
bulbs themselves.

Mark