Subject: Re: [Leica] Technical Pan Sharpneness & Camera Vibration
From: "Dave Stratton" <stratton@gci.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:36:21 -0900

Paul said
<My question to the Leica experts (there must be a few sharpness freaks in
this group):  Is the Leica shutter smooth enough to give top resolution
with a 90 mm (or even 75) lens, shooting both horizontally and vertically,
on a light (less than 3 lb. total, including head) tripod, at all speeds

Paul

I am also a recent convert (?) to the leica and have some high hopes.
Reference your problem.   I shoot a lot of scenic with large format, and med
format.  I use a Pentax 67...and even with mirror lock I have more motion
momentum than a small tank.   I adopted an old trick (used a lot with large
format).  I take a something I can hold small rocks in and weight the tripod
by placing the weight near to (sometimes touching) the ground.  This will do
at least two positive things.  It adds weight and dampening to the vibration
of the system, and it moves the center of mass nearer the ground surface.
Whatever you use to hang the weight, be sure it has as little wind
resistance as possible if wind is a problem where you photograph.