Subject: Re: [Leica] Technical Pan Sharpneness & Camera Vibration
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:39:32 EST

In a message dated 1/4/00 1:50:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, proark@silcom.com
writes:

<< inherent vibration that focal plane shutters
 seem to cause.   >>
This is certainly not the case with Leica gear, M or R. However negative size
is, of course, an issue but not for resolution. Rather, the differences I see
between 35mm and larger formats are in tonality and gradation.  It is much
easier to produce a smooth looking print from medium and large formats,
period. However, having said that, 35mm can produce extraordinary results.
But the same care will always produce a "better" print from a larger format -
all they up 8X10 (the limits of my experience.

Regarding 90 lp/in. - that's a difficult standard to ask of any lens/camera
combination regardless of format.  You can do it with tech pan, a tripod and
some of the Leica lenses or other manufacturers as well, but in my experience
it's not the ultimate resolution figure that is the sole criterion.  See E.
Puts on these issues.

Bob Figlio