Subject: Re: [Leica] tech pan notes
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 18:06:38 GMT

Most of the problems people encounter with Tech Pan have do to with over
development.  The suggested development times that come with the film are
generally too long.  I reduce development in Technidol from 9 to 8 minutes
and have not have a problem with contrast.

The films sensitivity to uneven development is dramatic, so you better shoot
more than one frame if you want to guarantee a keeper.

As for the enlarger I can only say that this film when processed properly
exceeds the resolution of pretty much any camera or enlarger/ lens combo on
the consumer market.  Even when you use the best camera, on a tripod, with
the finest enlarger/lens, you will probably not exceed the resolution
capabilities of the film.

The effort to expose and process this film successfully would probably be
better spent perfecting our technique with 100 speed films like Delta 100.

Processed and exposed properly this and other 100 speed films are free of
problematic grain up to 8x12.  The resolution is high enough to need a
tripod to get the most out of it also...yet the speed is fast enough to hand
hold for us humans who don't want to take a tripod on vacation:)

Indeed even some old standbys are rarely processed to their maximum!

I see few shots that really maximize Tri-X...So I guess it isn't just a film
for slobs like myself after all:)

Processed properly you should not see much difference between Tri-x and 100
speed films from 5x7" print size on down.  Despite this many Tri-x shots I
see on the net and in print are grainy and thick.  These are over
developed....(I am certainly guilty of my share of these errors)

Best Wishes
Dan States