Subject: Re: [Leica] R: IIa or IIIa,: (Contax!)
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 08:49:50 -0500

Something most of the respondents to this thread are missing is that the
original post was asking about opinions on a Zeiss Contax IIa or IIIa, NOT
a Leica LTM Screwmount IIa or IIIa.  The discussions have mutated to an LTM
discussion.

Does anyone have PRACTICAL experience on the use of a IIa/IIIa vs.
contemporary LTM IIIf, etc.  I know about the longer baseline of the
Contax, brighter viewfinder on the Leica, smaller LTM bodies, superior
Zeiss lenses, more difficult LTM film loading, etc....

But what I would like to know is how does the Contax handle in use?  I've
never used one and I'm considering buying a IIa w Sonnar 50/1.5 or 50/2 as
an alternate tool to my M or LTM's for grins.  Does the wheel focusing work
well?

Skip

At 1/3/00 07:28 AM  -0500, you wrote:

>I've been using a IIIa on and off since I was in high school in 1960. I
>bought it for $25 as a second body to supplement my Yashica YF and later
>Canon VIT. Recently, after 30 years away from serious photography I started
>using it again and its even nicer than I remember. The only problem was that
>in addition to 1/1000 sec., which never worked, 1/500 has also stopped
>working--slow speeds are still fine. (time for a CLA). I bought a IIIf to
>serve as my main camera (should be more reliable--its ONLY about 45 years
>old). The shutter on a IIIf is supposed to be smoother and quieter than on a
>IIIA, but i haven't noticed any difference. The more widely spaced
>viewfinder rangefinder windows on the IIIa might be a slight disadvantage
>compared to the IIIf,but I use a Russian universal finder most of the
>time--even for the 50.
>
>In short, I highly recommend a IIIa as a 2nd Leica you can use without
>worrying about.

Skip Williams
Westfield, NJ
skipwilliams@pobox.com