Subject: Re: [Leica] A Leica lens question (135mm 2.8 -M)
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 00:34:11 +1100

Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:

> I wonder if I could interrupt this film/developer discussion with a question
> about Leicas -- specifically, the 135mm f 2.8 Elmarit for the M cameras. I'm
> desiring a "true-telephoto" look from the Leica -- something with a little
> more compression than the 90mm. It seems like the 135mm is the limit. I've
> read some of the reviews of the new M-135mm (the F 3.4 I believe) but I don't
> want to spend that kind of money.
>
> So . . . what's the deal with the 2.8? What is the general opinion of this
> lens. Is it worthy of the Leica name? (I get the sense that it isn't
> completely up to par with the classics) Is it a performer? Sharp? Contrasty?
> Does it produce pleasing images?
>
> What about the way it works -- how it feels and handles? Assuming I'd use it
> primarily on an M3 body, is it a practical lens. How about the finder. Is
> that a distraction?
>
> Also, is there one particular version to get or is my impression correct that
> all the 2.8 variations are optically about the same? I do think having the
> option of using 55mm filters would be an advantage since I have a 24mm as
> well -- of course, OTOH, the hood for the 35mm takes series VII so maybe
> that's a wash . . .
>
> Share your wisdom and experience, please . . .
>
> Bob (wants to reach out and touch someone -- photographically, that is)
> McEowen

  Bob, if you want to find out if the type of image you get from a 135mm lens
pleases you and if you are trying to find out about the view finder, why don't
you by a Hector 135mm f4.5?. This is a good lens and exceptionally inexpensive. I
just saw one at OCE (Online Camera Exchange) for $95 US in Bayonet mount.
I  owe 2 of those lenses, and find them very good. The other 135mm lens I have is
a late Elmar f4. It is supposed to be better, but I have yet to see much
difference. Admittedly the lenses are a bit slow, but it is worth a try. If you
don't like the Hector, you haven't lost much for the price they selling, but at
least you can get a feeling for this focal length.

Regards, Horst Schmidt