Subject: Re: [Leica] Passport Un-Warranty (Not TRUE!)
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 06:24:53 -0800

Dan,

>Your home-owners insurance should cover theft, and frankly you would have
> be an idiot to loose a Leica <<

My point was that any modern Leica camera or lens exceeds the standard
limits of most homeowner's policies. By adding a relatively inexpensive
all-risk rider to your existing policy, you are covered for everything the
Passport warranty covers (except adjustment or maintenance not made
necessary by damage) as well as theft, fire, cosmetic damage or loss.

By "loss" I mean any situation in which you cannot return the remains (with
a legible serial number) to Leica. I don't mean forgetting where you put it.
This would include robbery, theft, or, for those who are inclined to drop
their cameras, dropping it into a place from where it can't be recovered.

In the documentation that comes with the Passport, Leica doesn't call it a
"warranty" or a "guarantee." These terms can have strict legal meanings.
Instead, Leica call it the "Passport Protection Plan."

I'm not an insurance salesman and really don't care whether anyone else pays
the extra hundreds of dollars for the Passport coverage. Everyone's needs
are different - as is everyone's existing coverage. In my case, I've saved a
tremendous amount of money by forgoing the Passport coverage and I think my
cameras and lenses are better protected. With the money I've saved, I could
afford to pay for a little maintenance. I think that in the last 20 years
I've spent about $175 on a single Leica repair - on a camera that wouldn't
have been eligible for Passport anyway.

Bryan