Subject: Re: [Leica] wedding photos? blech, i feel like a retired dentist!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:31:46 -0800

Kyle Cassidy wrote:

>people constantly ask me to shoot their weddings and i always say "no,
>it's not my thing, i shoot UFO hoaxes and  models wearing humorous
>get-up's and garter belts with holga's: that's my thing and i do it okay.
>you want a wedding, hire a pro, they do it all the time and they know what
>they're doing. you get a yellow rubber prom dress and a japaneese sword
>and a pink corvette stingray and a life size barbie doll and a boyfriend
>who looks just like fidel castro in 1965 and you want some photos, you
>call me, we'll talk ... that's my thing.">>>>>>>>

Kyle me old son,

You're missing a really good thing here if you play your cards right! :)

The next one that asks you to do the wedding, say, "Yep, sure thing here's
how I do it and what I charge and if you want me to do it, the money is up
front in cash! And I shoot it my way.

First fee... Charge flat fee $2000.___CASH!___ No government stuff to worry
about. :)  When the wedding day is over, give the film to the best man he
takes it to a 1 hour for 4X6's. You never see the film again and your
laughing on the way to the bank!

How to shoot it?  ...You don't organize that stuffy formal crap, let
someone else do that, doesn't matter who, not you! Everything else you
shoot candid by the wing, keep it simple and do your own thing with no fuss
no muss effort.

Now if you are still revolted by this, first think positive!  Up the rate
to $4000.00 and follow the original plan, you just get paid more for the
mental stress you suffer shooting it. But by staying cool and doing yur own
style of shooting there shouldn't be any stress. Just keep the feel of
those green backs in your pocket! Or thoughts of buying a new M6 or other
leica goodie.

>... but since i always carry a camera with me, i always end up taking
>_some_ photographs at the weddings i attend -- usually they're drunken
>bridesmades barfing in hotel parking lots,>>>>>>>

Perfect! This is why you get paid cash up front!:)   You still do the
wedding while giving them all the good behind the scenes stuff also. On the
other hand, you get pleasantly compensated for your efforts.:)  I mean, you
should be well paid for the barfing bridesmaids, after all I'm sure it
makes great action photos! :):)

I did weddings a very long time ago and hated every minute of it. As time
went on I thought I want to get these clowns off my back, so I started the
cash up front and give them the film and out of my face. I charged a $1000
first one, figuring that woukld drive them away. Damn not the first one,
they took it right off.

Now I'm hooked, do the job as a pro, give them the film and the results
were so good their friends were onto me within a week..Bang another $1000.
Hell I don't want to do this stuff so...up it to $2000. Stopped a few, but
they still kept coming and I got more stressed...up it again to $3000.
Probably did a few, but that broke the cycle and I was a happy camper.

So there is some interesting money to be made from these things and yet you
shoot it in your own fashion. And that's the secret to keeping your sanity
and making a few bucks as well.:)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant