Subject: Re: [Leica] New Black Paint M6 TTL and M6J
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:41:19 -0800

I for one disagree with the negative view you seem to have with this new model.
Many Leica Nuts have been lamenting the disappearance of the black paint finish ever
since it was replaced with black chrome in 1971, not to mention the Leica engraved
script with disappeared with the M5.  That Leica has finally reintroduced them after
all these years is a real turn around on their part in terms of Leica management
finally listening to buyers.   As a classic camera dealer, my guess is that Leica
will have a quick sell out on their hands.

"Hans-Peter.Lammerich" wrote:

> The 2mm of extra height on any M6 TTL visibly disturb the Leica M's classic
> proportion and the plastic battery cover does not improve its looks either.
> Neither black paint nor the classic M3 top plate can change that. It is
> certainly a more appealing concept than the numerous "special/limited editions"
> before that were created by putting on silly engravements. But after all, the M6
> "TTL black paint" as well as the M6J are artificial, factory fresh "collectors'
> items" that were created by replacing some exterior parts and by artificially
> limiting the production number. The modifications are not for free, but are
> cheap in comparison to the price premium. The parts and the painting can be and
> are probably done by external suppliers.

Leica is in business  to make money for their stockholders.   If profits can be
increased, I am all for it.  I am fairly sure in  talking with my customers, far
more people want to buy the camera than want  to quibble about it. .

> A (planned) production number of 2,000 that will not be reduced by wear and tear
> or war isn't even rare by the usual standard and certainly not in relation to
> the actual demand at the price asked for.

I strongly disagree.  2,000 production is indeed a rare camera.  As I said, all
indicators to me so far is a high demand.

> It took four years until most "new"
> M6J sets disappeared from the (German) dealers' show cases, lately with
> discounts of up to 20% on the listed price. And I do not believe that they are
> selling well second hand at the moment. As an investment, the M6J was no
> success. As a collector's item the M6J is no fun either, because it is just a
> replica and, more important, it was not and never will be difficult to find
> one. I would say all the fun and all the excitement in collecting things is
> related to the process of finding and completing, but not in just owning it.
> Walking in a shop and pulling out the wallet is of only limited fun. I also
> believe that many M6J buyers were disappointed by the introduction of the M6
> "0.85" which offered the M6J's only "non-cosmetic" feature for half the price.

The M6J is a much more expensive camera than the black paint M6.  While M6J prices
may be temporarily low, they will surely rise again.   As far as investments, buy
real estate or stocks.  Leica Nuts buy Leica because they want to.

> Because the M6J set was sold for the double price of a conventional M6 "0.85"
> with 2.8/50, but without cannibalising M6 sales it was, presumably, a commercial
> success for Leica, even taking into account the cost of making special parts or
> tools. With almost 2,000 sets made, Leica's cash flow was improved by a few
> million DM. That's a nice amount of money made "on the side", but not enough to
> compensate for an otherwise poor business, particularly if the actual sales were
> spread over a period of at least four years. The M6 "black paint" will show
> whether Leica can repeat this trick again.

Leica has indeed had a variety of problems, but selling collectibles has seldom been
one of them.   Satisfying customer demand is hardly a trick, it's smart business.  I
just wish Leica would listen to customers in many other areas, besides the black
paint finish.

> I believe that 2,000 is the total number of all larger Leica dealers and
> hardcore collectors worldwide who usually want to put one piece of anything
> Leica is producing on their shelves,

I don't know where you are getting your figure from, but I believe "hard core" Leica
collectors could be counted in terms of tens of thousands, not just two thousand.  I
admit my figure is just a guess, but I have met far too many people who love Leica
to believe the 2,000 figure.

> without using it at all or even without
> opening the box. It is a little bit like with those collectors of post stamps
> who subscribe them from their local post office. In addition to the collectors
> there seems to be another group of "novelty addicted users" who permanently
> replace and update their gear. Together these two groups create the usual
> shortage of supply after a new body or lens gets into production. They will
> drive dealers crazy and they will block supply to users for a couple of months,
> but after their demand is saturated sales always drop significantly.

initial demand and dropping prices thereafter describe practically any new
noteworthy camera, including  users like the standard Nikon F2, F3, F4, and F5.
However, that is not always the case.   The limited production M6 Platinum has gone
up in value.  So has the  original M6 .85, even though it was not intended to be a
collectible.

If you just don't like special Leica models, great.  I like that.  It will make it
that much easier for me and my customers to buy them.  This version of the M6 paint
is intended as an instant collectible, and I for one, think it will attain that.
Some will shoot with it as well, which is even better.

Again, Leica has to make money.   The M6 Black Paint is just part of the overall
picture, not all of it.

Stephen Gandy