Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposing slide film at night
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:42:39 -0800

>Ted Grant wrote:
>
>> However, each one is a "keeper" and speaks for the credibility of the
>> R8 meter system. Bracketing makes a slight difference, even so, you
>> could probably run with anyone of them. All the bracketing does is
>> give you a varying degree of goodness.

Bernard responded:
>But how can the matrix be so good, while it has only so few segments?
>It's better than integral metering, but it can't really be *that*
>awfully good, can it? It just doesn't seem to make sense.
>
>I have an R8, but I tend to go for the spot meter more than anything
>else....>>>>>>

Bernard,

I don't think about it, I just press the button and it works. Is it better
and how is it better?  I don't have a clue, all I know is it works just
fine. So well in fact that it can make you a lazy photgrapher not worrying
about exposure simply because you know it's going to be perfect.

Unless you are looking at a scene that your experince says...."override
this one!"  But always go with one of the meter created exposures, then
screw around with the exposures after that.  But that comes from ones
experince and can't really be explained other than ..."bracket lots when
you can or you think you should!"

Remember all this comes down to each photographers feeling in what they
trust of a camera or light meter, it isn't necessary to know which is
better nor how or why it works,  all you need to do is have confidence in
the equipment learned through your own experience.  In most cases the look
of your negs or slides will dictate which method of metering you'll use.

I use spot when the situation calls for a spot meter, or the matrix which I
prefer for negative films with the intregal (center weighted) for
transparency. This does not mean I wouldn't use spot meter for
transparencies, it just means in general for the look of my transparencies,
I prefer to use the intregal.

It's trusting what you have in your hands, be that built in the camera or
hand held.  Remember don't make it complicated and deep thinking, KISS!
"Keep it simple, stupid!"  Don't think about it too much, just do it.  If
it doesn't work chalk it up to experience and you wont do it that way
again. If it works....you got it made for future shoots! :)

See, isn't that simple? :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant