Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposing slide film at night
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:54:38 -0800

Julian wrote:

>I wonder how many experienced Leica users have allowed themselves to defer
>decisions to the matrix.  And I wonder if, in general usage, a knowledgeable
>photographer would get different results with the matrix than with the spot.
>I am thinking primarily of work with color slides, but I would be interested
>in hearing about all kinds of actual comparisons.>>>>>>

Hi Julian,

I leave the exposures to the camera meter selection simply because I trust
what it sets, by the same token if I'm in a tricky light situation I still
let the camera do it's thing, but my eye is always checking the information
bar inside the viewfinder to see what the camera is selelecting for
exposure, aperture and shutter speeds.

But I shoot 99% of my photography on a selected aperture allowing the meter
to set the shutter speeds. Much easier to have only one thing to keep your
eye on.

As far as getting different results with spot or matrix, yep you sure can
on the same scene, spot on the highlight and everything else will darken
down, pick intregal and it'll be different and so will it be on Matrix.
However under some lighting all three will come back to the same settings.

As a matter of fact the three meter settings on the R8 makes for a quick
bracket method where you experience different exposure settings.

Like I told Bernard:

"It's trusting what you have in your hands, be that built in the camera or
hand held.  Remember don't make it complicated and deep thinking, KISS!
"Keep it simple, stupid!"  Don't think about it too much, just do it.  If
it doesn't work chalk it up to experience and you wont do it that way
again. If it works....you got it made for future shoots! :)"  It's that
simple.:)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant