Subject: Re: [Leica] Totally OT: Buzz's Know-Nothing Tax Rant
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:17:45 -0800

Well Marc,
I can certainly agree with you on some of your believes, namely that
bureaucrats, through incompetence, negligence, and greed , do squander our
hard earned money by supporting pork barrel projects and other ill-conceived
undertakings.

I have to laugh however when people - appropriately cloaked in a gigantic
flag - seek to discredit modern laws and institutions by citing a
constitution drafted 200 years ago. Lets face it, the constitution is
obsolete and should be scrapped in favor of a new one reflecting life in the
21st century.

I know, I know, "them is fightin words". But every day courts struggle to
interpret "what the founding fathers meant". The greatest example being: "A
well regulated militia.............." But no one has the courage to face the
facts: we are entering a new century applying  principles drafted to deal
with pioneer survival instead of  seeking to modernize the fundamental
thinking of a nation.

As for state versus federal government,  this is a federation of states,
yes, but also a  nation divided by the idea that each state is or should be
completely autonomous. States are so frustratingly different in applying
their own laws that the only thing we need to make it complete is to require
a border pass to cross state lines.

You are right Marc, our 200-year-old constitution does not authorize the
federal government to regulate interstate trucking practices. Perhaps our
government should follow Mexico's example. There a truck can be loaded until
the front wheels are off the ground, tires can be worn until they explode,
and brakes are changed only after the truck fails to stop thus killing a
person or two.

Joseph Codispoti