Subject: [Leica] Totally OT: Buzz's Know-Nothing Tax Rant
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:35:55 -0500

At 02:46 PM 12/20/1999 -0500, Buzz Hausner wrote:
>I'm sorry and I know this is dangerously off-topic, but I have to jump in
>and condemn this kind of know-nothing rant.  I try to minimize the federal
>taxes I pay, but I also appreciate that government helps provide me with
>clean water to drink and in which to soup film, that government provides me
>with at least adequate air traffic control when I fly somewhere to take
>pictures with my Leicas, that government sponsors medical research which may
>keep me alive and clicking longer than I might otherwise, that government
>paid 90% of the cost of the interstate highway that took me to North Dakota
>to photograph the Badlands, that government maintains a military which keeps
>me free to use the film and cameras of my choice, et cetera.

Buzz

Allow me simply to state that, on this issue, I am totally in accord with
Don Rorschach and not with you.  You have simply acceded to the Gummit's
claims that they are the perfect solution to everything, and, to this I
dissent, constantly and firmly.

Oh, I'm stuck living in this fascist society:  my family have been
flag-waving patriots since the Revolution and I am, too.  But I don't have
to like the frightening course of growth the Federal Government has taken
in my own lifetime.  I am a former bureaucrat and my father is a retired
bureaucrat, so I have a bit of inside knowledge of the vile manner in which
the Government treats its charge.

Read the US Constitution and tell me where this authorizes, for instance,
"air traffic controllers" or where it requires the US government to
consider the adoption of firearms laws.  Tell me where, and under what
provision, welfare is justified.  Tell me where the Constitution authorizes
the Federal Government to worry itself with whether trucks are overweight
or whether the environment is healthy or not.

Many of these ARE governmental concerns but, under our system of limited
Federal government, they are STATE matters and not Federal matters at all.

This has been forgotten by virtually every one in today's US of A, but the
States are to have control of almost all of the governmental functions.
Read your copy of the Constitution and figure it out for yourself.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!