Subject: [Leica] Re: tripod recommendations
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:36:16 -0600

So -

I just came back from the local photo store, across the street from my
studio.

I looked for a new Tiltall so I could comment from a recent inspection
instead of my vague recollection from viewing one months ago. Well they
didn't have one today - but for what its worth - as I remember the new
one is pretty OK and probably well worth the money.  I think I'd look for
an older used one first, comparing prices then decide. Don't think you'd
go wrong either way.

I did see a pretty cool small, light tripod that seems a good value for
those who want carbon fiber. Its the Hakuba HG-6230C. Carbon legs, tough
looking metal parts, very light, pretty short folded, goes low with 3
position leg spread settings and high enough at max extension that it
would cover most any average use - pretty sturdy too! The good part is
the price of $269.00, at least $200  less that Gitzo. Maybe not quite as
nice but I'd sure consider it.

Henry Ambrose
Director, Tennessee Tripod Research Institute :)