Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens choice--sole lens for M6
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:12:16 -0000

Julian,
My choice would be the pre-asph 35 Summilux.
I know your original post mentioned reservations about this, needing to
acquire an affection for its character, or whatever, but forget it, that's
baloney.
The lens does not do weird things, it merely has a curved field, which many
other lenses had. In ordinary picture making it is extremely rare you would
notice it.
This was the first ens I got with an M camera (an M2) and I've had four
the first was stolen, I replaced it, then sold it to buy the M3 close
focusing version, finally I found another non-M3 version cheaply and bought
that. Sensibly (I feel) I managed to bring myself to sell the M3 version.

It is so compact, so fast and so versatile. Try one out. I bought my last
one for around 275 GBP. A bargain, they can be found for good prices but
try to avoid the earlier ones with the 41mm filter thread.

best regards,
Jem