Subject: [Leica] Re: FULL MOON - double exposure
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:10:28 -0600

At 02:12 AM 13/12/99 -0800, thomas boehm wrote:
>about the double-exposure technique: after the first exp., i gave a little
>bit of tension to film with the film-rewind-crank, switched the
>rewind-button (front of cam) and cocked the shutter - ready for exposure
>nr. 2.
>
>i've made 15 (double)-exposures, for trying different effects; there where
>4 exposures, where the first and the second exposure did'nt match well
>together on the film; so there where 11 pictures left to choose - and the
>one, whe printed, was amazing an nice... :-)

Take a roll of useless film and try this with the baseplate off and the
film door swung up.  Place a mark on some spot on the sprocket holes to
serve as a reference against something inside the body. You will see that
the film actually moves most of the time when you try double exposures,
even if you push hard on the rewind button before winding.  You will also
hear a very unpleasant sound, like one of gears getting mangled inside.  I
have no idea what the gears are doing to make that noise, but I suspect
that they are skipping while only slightly disengaged.
   If you need to make double exposures in a pinch, your method might work,
but if you need reliable results, use a different camera (sorry M6 fans).
The M6 is not suitable for doing double exposures.  Film registration is
not assured, and really, if you can not have the film remain in place, you
will never be able to get predictable results.