Subject: Re: [Leica] re: Konica and Contax
From: "KPETERS" <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 20:02:57 -0600

- ------=_NextPart_000_007A_01BF3F5B.B94D7BE0

Well, I'm not an engineer, but the G series has 2 focus windows like a =
typical range finder, and the image that the system senses is compared =
by an electronic rangefinder and "focuses" MECHANICALLY the lens by an =
electronic motor.  True, different than a totally mechanical Leica, but =
seems like a true rangefinder thats focus depends on the "base" length =
(distance between the focus windows). =20

As for the G1 being "really pathetic"-- that is a subjective remark.  I =
differ in that opinion and can focus without difficulty and consistently =
get tack sharp photos with my G1.  As a matter of fact, the "spot focus" =
feature on my R4 (and subsequent R5) really 'trained' me to use the G1 =
as I was already used to "locking the exposure" by this method.  As for =
'available light photography"-- in this day and age of faster films, =
finer grained fast films, etc, I have found very few limitations with =
the G1 in available light.  I took a roll of 24 pics at our Thanksgiving =
get-together, all inside photos on 400 asa film.   All perfectly =
exposed, great skin tones (albeit a bit warm from the incandescent =
lights) but definately not crippled.  I find the meter just as accurate =
in tone as my older R4 and very intuitative to use.  True, not a great =
system for dim light, but again, much photography is done in reasonable =
light situations.  A tripod or the old "Benser" bracing system works =
just as well with the contax as the leica as well.

Don't get me wrong in my defense of the contax G1.   I am a member of =
the Leica Historical society, spend alot on Leica (though not as much as =
many of the folks here!), read quite a lot on leica photography, etc.  I =
like my Contax G1 very much, but I LOVE my Leicas.  They are different, =
but I do not qualify the G1 as a "point and shoot"-- a term I would =
reserve for those cameras you can pull out of the bag, point, and shoot =
with no "adjustments" or conscious photographic knowledge (ie. =
aperature, focus selection, etc).

If there is a more distinct definition of "rangefinder" that I am =
missing, I appologize.  I only know what I can decipher from the info =
supplied by Contax on how it all works.  Kent Peters

- ------=_NextPart_000_007A_01BF3F5B.B94D7BE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Well, I'm not an engineer, but the G series =
has 2 focus=20
windows like a typical range finder, and the image that the system =
senses is=20
compared by an electronic rangefinder and &quot;focuses&quot; =
MECHANICALLY the=20
lens by an electronic motor.&nbsp; True, different than a totally =
mechanical=20
Leica, but seems like a true rangefinder thats focus depends on the=20
&quot;base&quot; length (distance between the focus windows).&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>As for the G1 being &quot;really =
pathetic&quot;-- that=20
is a subjective remark.&nbsp; I differ in that opinion and can focus =
without=20
difficulty and consistently get tack sharp photos with my G1.&nbsp; As a =
matter=20
of fact, the &quot;spot focus&quot; feature on my R4 (and subsequent R5) =
really=20
'trained' me to use the G1 as I was already used to &quot;locking the=20
exposure&quot; by this method.&nbsp; As for 'available light =
photography&quot;--=20
in this day and age of faster films, finer grained fast films, etc, I =
have found=20
very few limitations with the G1 in available light.&nbsp; I took a roll =
of 24=20
pics at our Thanksgiving get-together, all inside photos on 400 asa=20
film.&nbsp;&nbsp; All perfectly exposed, great skin tones (albeit a bit =
warm=20
from the incandescent lights) but definately not crippled.&nbsp; I find =
the=20
meter just as accurate in tone as my older R4 and very intuitative to =
use.&nbsp;=20
True, not a great system for dim light, but again, much photography is =
done in=20
reasonable light situations.&nbsp; A tripod or the old =
&quot;Benser&quot;=20
bracing system works just as well with the contax as the leica as=20
well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Don't get me wrong in my defense of the =
contax=20
G1.&nbsp;&nbsp; I am a member of the Leica Historical society, spend =
alot on=20
Leica (though not as much as many of the folks here!), read quite a lot =
on leica=20
photography, etc.&nbsp; I like my Contax G1 very much, but I LOVE my=20
Leicas.&nbsp; They are different, but I do not qualify the G1 as a =
&quot;point=20
and shoot&quot;-- a term I would reserve for those cameras you can pull =
out of=20
the bag, point, and shoot with no &quot;adjustments&quot; or conscious=20
photographic knowledge (ie. aperature, focus selection, =
etc).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>If there is a more distinct definition of=20
&quot;rangefinder&quot; that I am missing, I appologize.&nbsp; I only =
know what=20
I can decipher from the info supplied by Contax on how it all =
works.&nbsp; Kent=20
Peters</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_007A_01BF3F5B.B94D7BE0--