Subject: [Leica] Visoflex lenses on an R5
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 05:17:35 -0500

Martin Howard wrote:

I'm thinking of buying into the R system, chiefly for long lenses and
macro.
However, I have a limited budget and can really only afford a body at
first.
(Currently deciding between the R5, R6 or R7, but that's really beside the
point.)

I have a lovely 90mm f/2 Summicron (11123) with a detachable lens head for
use in a Visoflex rig.  My question is, can I use the combination of
a 16462 *or* 16463 adapter and a 14167 adapter to mount and use the lens
head on an R5/R6/R7?  What kind of metering and exposure will this allow?
<<<

Martin,

If your budget is limited and you can do without TTL flash metering and
diopter adjustment, also consider the R4sP.  It has aperture-priority
metering with spot or integral meter pattern as well as manual spot
metering, all of which will work with your Viso lens head.  If you will be
buying the adapters used, look for a 14167 with the nul cam for correct R
metering, or expect to make some exposure compensation.

The R4sP costs less than the R5 or R7 and has many of the ruggedized and
idiot-proofed switches and controls of the R5 that the R4 and R4s lack.  As
others have noted, the R7 is the best-built of the R4 through R7 series.

Doug Herr
Sacramento