Subject: Re: [Leica] SL viewfinder
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 00:16:15 +0100

Hi, Doug H, Doug R, and Bud.

Thank you very much for your responses and info.  They help me very much. :-)

Doug Herr wrote:
>The old
>prism was in poor shape so it was well worth the cost; it's now brighter
>and more vibrant than my other SL's viewfinder, which has no obvious
>de-silvering or other problems.

I would assume it really is.  I found that mine shows some flare in the
viewfinder when I see strong light on it.

>Congratulations on your SL purchase.  An SL2 and an R6.2 as well!  I'd be
>interested to read your comparisons of the three bodies.

Thanks. This afternoon I carried my SL and R6.2 and shot a couple of rolls
in Marche de Noel (Christmas Market) for which Strasbourg is famous for.
Although it may make little sense to compare a camera that is not in
original conditions with another, I felt the screen image of my SL more
pleasant to my eyes.  The R6.2 has a very good viewfinder system with an
Acute-Mat screen but has a blueish and darker tint with a  bit rougher feel.
In comparison with my SL2, the SL gives screen image with a similar
character (I am not sure if the screens for the two models share the same
material in the mat areas) but also with a little more blueish and darker
tint.  My SL is at least as good as a Contax S2 that gave me the best
viewfinder image in my experience.  I am now interested in experiencing the
original and optimum quality of an SL, which would cost more than what I am
now ready to spend with my "user" SL....

Cheers,

Mikiro
Strasbourg, Europe
http://arbos.silva.net