Subject: [Leica] Black Oystercatcher photos
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:37:11 -0500

Today I recieved my Kodachromes back from the LUG photo day at Point Lobos,
where I had checked out an R8 from Leica rep Tom Brichta, which I used
along side my trusty SL, with the 560mm and 400mm f/6.8 Telyts, and a 250mm
f/4.0 Telyt (late version) as the birds allowed or required.

A pair of cooperative Black Oystercatchers (a bird of rocky shorelines)
helped me use 4 rolls of K64, 2 in each camera.  I had used all of these
lenses on either body, and I can't see from the chromes which lens was used
for any particluar photo so I can't say whether any lens/body combination
was particularly effective but I had kept track of which roll was in which
body.  I used both cameras hand-held, my usual M.O.

Upon editing the day's take the smile on my face grew wider and wider; an
excellent percentage of "keepers".  The SL produced slightly more than the
R8, which is not surprising since I've been using the SL for 20 years, and
since my total experience with the R8 consisted of my time with the
Oystercatchers.  Also consider that a few landfill slides were the result
of auto-exposure failures (bird black , surf nearly white, Arghh!) until I
switched to manual/spot, and the R8's diopter adjustment wasn't optimum for
me until Tom showed me how to change it.  The R8's performance for this
kind of work is excellent.  Highly recommended.  Just think what a winder
or motor will do....

Doug Herr
Sacramento