Subject: RE: [Leica] Journalistic principles
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:13:58 -0500

At 02:09 PM 11/26/1999 -0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>I knew that you are a former Marine, world-class authority on the history of
>the German optical industry, and an attorney: I didn't know you were a First
>Amendment expert or an expert on either journalism practices or journalistic
>dealings with law enforcement authorities. But then I seem to learn
>something new every day.

<sigh>  BD, you prove every day that you can lead a horse to water, but you
cannot make them drink.

I have no connexion at all with the US Marine Corps, or any other Marine
Corps, other than that my secretary's Dad is a retired Marine.

Allow me to refresh your mind:  I am a general-practice attorney.  I deal
with First Amendment rights at least every week and with police efforts to
interview reporters and to examine their files at least a couple of times
every year, as well as with media-access-to-the-Courtroom issues.  (Thank
heavens, the Feds do not allow cameras in the courtroom, and Virginia only
very limited access.  In 18 years of practicing law, I have only once had
to deal with a trial being taped by the media and, even there, they were
required to remain outside the courtroom and to use remotes.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!