Subject: Re: [Leica] Journalistic principles
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:39:20 -0500

At 12:55 PM 11/26/1999 -0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>If I agree to show a story to Joe Blow, I have no moral ground -
>and may have shaky legal ground on which to stand - when I refuse to show a
>copy of a story to the FBI, Justice Department, or local police
>department..,..and THAT is a precedent no journalist worth the name wants to
>set....

This argument is simply and completely invalid.  Whether or not you showed
the article to the subject has no bearing, at all, as to whether you share
it with a police agency:  you haven't "waived" anything.  In any event,
that isn't the issue with the police:  they generally want to see your
notes, listen to your tape recordings, and ascertain the names, addresses,
voice and FAX telephone numbers, and E-mail addresses of your sources.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!