Subject: Re: [Leica] Journalistic principles
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:16:25 EST

In a message dated 11/26/99 11:57:39 AM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< And, not to put to fine a point on it, but the "Fella" in question began as

a copyboy at The Washington Post in 1967, worked there as a reporter from

1970-1980 - receiving several Pulitzer nominations along the way - went to

Newsday in 1980 and was there until 1993, serving at various points as

Science Editor, Senior Correspondent for Science and Medicine, and medical

columnist, receiving several Pulitzer nominations, and winning a Pulitzer in

1984 as one of two lede reporters on the paper's coverage of the Baby Jane

Doe case.

The "Fella" as taught journalism at George Washington University, C.W. Post

College of Long Island University, and now teaches basic news writing and

science feature writing at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The

"Fella" also writes a column for Boston Magazine, has written 10 books, and

has contributed over the years to a number of national magazines.

I wasn't going to comment again but since I seemed to have unintentionally
ruffled feathers . . . Take it easy "fella." I meant no offense -- just
trying to keep things light and informal. I certainly wasn't questioning your
bona fides or your statements. I just happen to disagree with you. That, in
my mind, is no reason to get nasty so you'll just have to take my word for it
that was not what I was trying to do.. We don't have to agree. You are
convinced of your position. That's clear. FWIW, I probably would have argued
your side a few years ago but I've tried it the other way and not only have
seen the benefits of it but also realized it's not the Pandora's box you and
others make it out to be.

Bob (still thinks you can teach old dogs new tricks) McEowen