Subject: Re: [Leica] Squares and sabotage
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:17:39 EST

In a message dated 11/24/99 8:49:33 AM, ewelch@neteze.com writes:

>What was unethical? The stripper gave them permission, and she was the
>only
>person in the picture you could recognize. The rest were silhouettes of
>the
>backs of their heads. They just wanted a photo to show her doing what she
>
>does and she was more than willing. It's just the owner would never let
>
>them in because he was afraid of what they'd show.

I'll back down SLIGHTLY since the subject was willing . . . BUT, as a general
rule I believe deception is contrary to the purpose and ideals of journalism
and therefore ANY deception is unethical. Maybe that  line is drawn too far
but one things for sure, if you don't cross it, you won't get in trouble. How
would the photographer fell if the ruse was discovered and the woman lost her
job over it? What would have been wrong with the photographer and the
stripper sitting down with the owner, discussing the situation, promising to
show no clients in the photo without permission and (Yes, I dare say it)
offering to let the owner see the photos before they ran?

Bob (honesty is the best policy) McEowen