Subject: Re: [Leica] Squares and sabotage
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:26:49 EST

Not to step into the middle of a pissing match but I will offer this: I have
often found myself knocking off a quick environmental portrait to illustrate
a story when I didn't have time to do something more substantial. Documentary
photojournalism takes time. It takes time to establish a rapport with your
subject so they will relax and let down their guard. It also takes times to
just BE THERE when the moments happen. The environmental portrait -- as E.W.
and I seem to understand the term -- is a quick and dirty shot. In the worst
case it's 5-10 minutes and you're done -- wham, bam, thank you mamam. Of
course, this is the worst case -- in other words, the very thing that I
called a cliche. I've done it. I suspect Eric has done it. I imagine you can
ask any newspaper photographer and they've done it. That's not to say there
aren't very good examples of the style -- I've even made a few of those --
but so often it's a crutch for a photographer in a hurry (or there at the
wrong time).

Bob (photographic confession is good for the soul) McEowen